Monday, February 21, 2011




I'm pretty self-conscious, and I tend to monitor my thoughts at all times. It's sort of a way of keeping myself in perspective. There's always just too much going on in someone's brain, and I forget that sometimes. 

So my idea for my Beta project is likely going to be some kind of representation of what goes on in a brain, particularly my brain. The video I've attached is a rough sketch animation of a possible idea. This footprints video is mostly about the progression of a thought (the video being revealed) being realized and comprehended over a progression of time (the footprints). The actual design and look of this application is likely going to stray from this, but I'm not yet sure. 

On another note, I've also been thinking about the dreams I've been having lately. They always leave me with some kind of lasting impression of myself. My dreams reveal very interesting things about me that I often overlook, like deeply-rooted problems I've had and how I feel about certain people and places. So, because I want my Beta project to be an introspection of my mind, I want to have some focus on dreams and subconscious thoughts. All of this could tie together as a self-portrait of myself. 

The form of this piece is probably going to be a web-based flash game. I'm thinking it'll function like a linear abstract narrative. I've always been fascinated with Han Hoogerbrugge's flash work and would like to learn how to achieve this kind of minimal and surreal look. (A good example of his work: http://www.hoogerbrugge.com/Other/spin/) The content surrounding this piece is likely to be based mostly around personal imagery and sounds. I want it to be visually stimulating, or satisfying or reflective, but I also want it to have a sound score that suites it because I've always thought sound is very important, especially in animation. Though it'll probably turn out as an autobiographical piece, I would hope that it offers some kind of self-reflection on the viewer's part. Regardless, I tend to be my only audience much of the time and I want to make a piece that I'm satisfied with, but otherwise my target audience would be the people in my generation who can identify with the ideas I'm presenting. By the end of the semester, I would like to have a basic construction of this idea, even if it is very minimal or abstract or even just an animated demonstration of what this flash project will someday be. But because the internet is and always has been a valuable resource, I'm going to want to take the aesthetic concepts of this project further to develop a website for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment